banner photos
Home | History | Facilities | Services | Perks | Training and Lessons | Rates | Contract | Day Camp | Photos
history
The Lakeview Farm
farm in the fallAndrew and Christina Anderson left Dasland, Sweden in 1871 for Minnesota. They took with them one nine year old son, John. They bought the farm located in Washington County, near Scandia, Minnesota on July 3, 1876 at a cost of eight hundred dollars. They cleared the land for farming and built a log cabin on the west end of the lake. Andrew worked as a lumberman in the woods of northern Minnesota in winter and farmed in the summer.

John took over farming about 1893. In 1896, he married Amanda Magnuson. In 1895 the farm house was built on the south end of the lake; the two story barn was built in 1905 with a stone foundation. John and Amanda had four boys (William, Arthur, Alfred, Carl) and two girls (Hilma, Eleanor).

They raised hogs, chickens and milked cows. The activities they had were playing the piano, violin, saxophone and banjo at local barn dances and the Scandia church; they also played baseball in the local towns.

The farm has 75 tillable acres with the rest in pasture and woods. There is also a small lake covering about 60 acres of the 202 acre farm. Arthur took over in 1940. In 1944, he married Myrtle Peterson from Stillwater, Minnesota; they had five children (Grace, Raymond, Roger, Donald, Wallace). The farm was operated by using horses until 1961. Electricity did not come to the farm until 1968; kerosene lamps and gas engines were used. Hunting, fishing, and trapping added to the family’s food and income.

In 1978, the original barn was destroyed by fire during a lightning storm. It was rebuilt in 1979 by Roger, Donald and Alfred Anderson using the farm’s sawmill and oak logs from the farm woods. The present owners are Roger (and Marla) and Donald Anderson, great grandsons of Andrew and Christina Anderson. (Submitted by Roger H Anderson)

- taken directly fromThe Century Farm Book

Marla and Roger Anderson opened Lakeview Farm as a horse boarding facility in March of 2003. Since then, many improvements have been made to the farm including the building of a beautiful 78’ x 144’ steel barn with an insulated roof, 11 stalls and a 60’ x 144’ indoor riding arena. A beautiful, sandy-footed outdoor arena was also built at 120’ x 220’. Round pens were added as well as lean-to shelters and automatic waterers in almost all of the 12 pastures. This year, a cozy little warming room with a refrigerator, pizza oven, microwave, TV/DVD/VCR, and radio was added as well as a new tack room in the historic underground barn.